Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Twilight - Thoughts of one who Hates the Sparklepyres

I read the first book of the Twilight series yesterday. I try to understand things even if I'm not inherently a fan of them, and I figure I can't be a writer and ignore a book that has sold fifteen-billion copies.
The writing was alright. Captured the feeling of being a teenager, with focus consistently on little emotions and overpowering hormones. It was actually fun, reminiscent of Harry Potter's cinematic writing, with focus on a blow-by-blow.
I was even okay with vampires being gorgeous. Made some sense - pretty predator to attract stupid humans. Sparkling still sets my teeth on edge - it doesn't matter that their skin is crystalline. It's... tacky.
The want-to-drink blood as want-to-bone metaphor was pretty damn thick, and the characters make some pretty stupid teenage decisions. But anyone who looks to a fictional teenager for a role-model isn't much better off than someone deciding that an actual teenager is full of good ideas, instead of hormones and cologne.

So, I'm now watching the movie and will broadcast my resentment as it grows.

No comments:

Post a Comment